The Third International Conference on Situating Strategy Use: Stepping Into a New Era of Strategy Research and Practice will be held in Osaka, Japan, from 13 to 15 October 2019 at the Osaka International Convention Center (Grand Cube Osaka). This interdisciplinary conference aims to stimulate the ongoing research and further probe into less investigated issues concerning language learning strategies and other related areas within an international community of scholars.
The conference will focus on the role of language learning strategies and other individual, contextual, or situational differences in second and foreign language (L2) learning.
Topics covered in SSU3, but are not limited to, the followings:
- Theoretical background to language learning strategies
- Integrated research on language learning strategies
- Contextual and cultural differences in strategy use
- Language skills and strategy use (e.g., writing strategy, listening strategy)
- Tasks and strategy use in L2 learning
- Lx (L3, L4, etc.) learning and strategy use
- Language learning strategies and self-regulation
- Metacognitive awareness and strategy use
- The learner as an agent in language learning strategy use
- Language learning strategies and proficiency
- Individual differences (e.g., motivation, emotions, beliefs) and strategy use in L2 learning
- Bilingualism and strategy use
- Third age language learners and strategy use
- Working memory and second language acquisition
- Strategy clustering
- Fluidity in L2 strategy use
- Strategy-based instruction
- EMI (English Medium Instruction) and strategy use
- Teaching L2 strategy use to younger learners
- Information technology and strategy use in L2 learning
- Research methodology on language learning strategies
We look forward to stimulating discussions and insightful moments in Osaka in October 2019! Please keep yourself updated by visiting this website regularly.
On behalf of the organizing committee
Osamu Takeuchi, Ph.D.
Faculty of Foreign Language Studies
Graduate School of Foreign Language Education and Research
Kansai University, Osaka, Japan
- Call for proposals opens — Early August, 2018
- Online submission opens — Late December, 2018
- Online submission closes — April 22, 2019
- Notification — Late May, 2019
- Registration opens — June 1, 2019
- Early bird registration closes — August 15, 2019
- Conference — October 13-15, 2019
Although excursion is not included in the SSU3 program, you can book one yourself. Here is a list of recommended excursions provided by JTB (Japan Travel Bureau). We hope you will enjoy exploring Japan!
Here is a list of recommended accommodation near the venue.
As Osaka is a very popular tourist destination, we highly recommend that you book accommodation as soon as possible.
[contact-form-7 id=”364″ title=”Inquiry Form”]